ROIP Communication Systems
CALM IP RoIP two-way radio systems provide clients with cost-effective two-way radio coverage using their existing Wi-Fi network and do not require a two-way radio licence.
Features and Benefits of CALM IP RoIP Two-Way Radio Systems
- No Ofcom radio licence required
- Utilises existing Wi-Fi/WLAN networks so minimal infrastructure required
- Optional headset allows IP 100H users to talk and receive simultaneously, just like a telephone call i.e. full duplex communication
- Hands-free operation
- Excellent audio quality
- Excellent coverage, even below ground
- Potential to connect between dispersed sites. As long as sites are network connected the radios and the IP1000C can be in different buildings or even countries.
- 20 or 100 radio capacity systems available, with the potential to have multiples connected on the same system
- Can connect with internal or external telephones and mobiles
- Can integrate with other radio systems e.g. for fire and evacuation
- Seamless roaming between the available access points with the potential to alert users when this happens
- ICOM IP 100H hand portables are compact and robust. They are IPX7 waterproof rated (to a depth of 1m depth for 30 minutes) and are ideal for indoor and outdoor applications.
- Vibrating function for incoming calls (optional on or off)
- Network signal strength indicator allows users to check coverage
- Up to 12 calls at any one time per IP1000C controller
- Up to 24 hours battery life on handsets, with optional 48-hour battery
- All call / group call / individual call and access point call
- Status and short message data
- Remote monitor / stun / revive Customisable dispatcher software
Technical Data for CALM IP RoIP Two-Way Radio Systems
- The system uses the IEEE 802.11 a/ b/ g/n
- The wireless security protocols WPA-PSK and WPA-PSK2 encrypt calls.
- Minimal installation impact on existing network infrastructure. The system needs one Rj45 connection to an existing network and one 230V power point
- After the initial system set up the IP1000C can program most radio configurations over the air (with no cable connection required), enabling anyone with virtual private network (VPN) access permission to configure the radios remotely.
- The IP100H can operate for up to 20 hours on the BP-271 Li-Ion battery pack. This can be charged within 2 hours using the BC-202 desktop charger
- Can work on dual mode 2.4 GHz / 5 GHz broadcasting frequency or on only one of them
- Using the ICOM optional VE-PG3 RoIP gateway, the CALM IP can interconnect with IP phones as well as analogue or IDAS™ digital transceivers and mobile phones (via a SIP server).
A New Approach
CALM IP RoIP is an innovative system and its implementation requires a new approach:
IT Department Buy-In
Because the system requires an IP/WLAN host close co-operation is required between Chatterbox engineers and the organisation’s IT department from the outset of the project.
The three initial questions most IT departments have are:
1.What impact does CALM IP have on the host system security?
There is no threat to the security of the host system as radio operators have no means of accessing it.
2. What impact does CALM IP have on the host system bandwidth?
The effect on available bandwidth of the IP host system is minimal, each radio uses 150kbps per transmission (300kbps for full duplex).
3. What are the system requirements?
The system can work with any IP protocol. It operates on either 2.4 GHz or 5 GHz or both, switching automatically between the two depending on signal strength.
The ICOM IP100H handsets, like most two-way radios, are simplex but they become duplex when a headset is added i.e. using them is like having a telephone conversation where communication is simultaneous as opposed to speaking alternately. In full duplex mode everyone on the channel can hear and join every communication. This mode does have applications but those operating the radios need to be made aware that discretion may sometimes be required. Chatterbox offers live and online training via YouTube videos on this and basic operating.
CALM IP is clearly different to a conventional two-way radio system and offers some very specific advantages however it is only as robust as its host IP system. Generally this is not an issue but it is obviously a consideration for critical communications where resilience is required.
CALM IP is so quick and easy to install that we can offer potential customers an on-site demonstration.
In order to run the demonstration we will require:
- Contact details for the IT Manager
- Information for the access point network: network range and IP addresses
- Permission to create a Wi-Fi network between the access points and IP1000C controller
- RJ45 connection to the access point network.
- 230V power supply
For further information or to arrange an on-site demonstration call 020 7183 4391.
For answers to FAQs click here.
CALM IP RoIP in Action
The Royal Opera House used a CALM IP system on short-term hire for its Deloitte Ignite event.where the product’s ability to interface with the building’s WiFi to achieve local coverage without the need for base stations and antennas has proved invaluable in providing a cost effective solution.